All Saints Catholic Church
All Saints Parish, Logansport, Indiana, was formed in June, 1985, by consolidating the former St. Vincent de Paul, St. Joseph, and St. Bridget parishes into an administrative unit. It became one combined parish with the former St. Joseph Church as the worship site. The official title became All Saints Catholic Church. Father Charles Kline became the first pastor.
The former St. Vincent de Paul Parish was organized in 1838 by Father John Claude Francois to serve a growing Catholic colony, consisting mostly of Irish laborers and their families who were here to construct a canal.
The first church, which was a log structure on the northwest section of town, was used until 1840, when a new stone church was built close to the center of town. This stone church was used until 1863, when the present St. Vincent de Paul Church was built on Spencer Street.
In 1862 a house was purchased on the corner of Second and Market Streets by Father George A. Hamilton, who succeeded Father Francois. This building served as the school and convent for St. Vincent De Paul.
In 1868, by the urging of a German speaking missionary who came to St. Vincent de Paul to give a Mission, the fifty German speaking families petitioned Bishop Luers for a church of their own. The building at Second and Markets then became the site for the new parish. This new parish was dedicated in honor os St. Joseph on February 2, 1870. The cornerstone of the present church was laid on July 12, 1885.
In 1873, steps were taken to organize another parish in Logansport. Land was purchased between Linden, Heath, Wheatland and Wilkinson Streets and a church was erected on this site in 1875. This new parish, St. Bridget, consisted of 45 families. Father Bernard Kroeger was appointed pastor.
Presently All Saints Parish has approximately 800 families, most of whom live in Logansport and Cass County. Average Mass attendance for typical weekend liturgies is 1246.
Catholic education began in Logansport prior to 1850. The children were taught in a building at Fourth and Railroad Streets. The teacher was Professor Bradley.
In 1863, Father Hamilton had the Sisters of the Holy Cross come to Logansport to teach the children. This congregation of Sisters stayed at St. Vincent de Paul until 1973. At this time, the school became staffed by lay teachers. During the time the Sisters were here, they also operated Holy Angels Academy, which was a select school for young ladies.
After the Holy Cross Sisters left, St. Vincent de Paul continued to have a school until the school consolidation took place in 1980.
St. Bridget School was organized in 1875. Father Kroeger asked the Holy Cross Sisters to teach at St. Bridget School and they did so until 1894. From August of 1894 to May of 1906, the Sisters of St. Joseph staffed St. Bridget School. The Sisters of St. Francis then came to the school the following year and stayed until 1967. The school building at the St. Bridget site was built in 1961 and was closed in 1972.
St. Joseph School was founded in 1877 and was staffed by the School Sisters of Notre Dame. The school building at the St. Joseph site was completed in 1957.
In 1980, the consolidation of the three schools materialized. Miss Ann Laing became the first administrator of the Tri-Parish Schools. Pre-School and Kindergarten classes were held at the St. Vincent de Paul site, Grades 1 through 5 were housed at the St. Joseph building and grades 6 through 8 were at the St. Bridget School site. The 1981-82 school year had an enrollment of 243 students in Kindergarten through Grade 8.
The 1997-98 school year had an enrollment of 271 students in Pre-School through Grade 8. This current year the school enrollment is 108 students Pre-School through Grade 6. All Saints School is staffed by lay teachers. Click here for more information on our parish school.
Approximately 300 children from Pre-School through Grade 12 are in the Parish Religious Education program.
All Saints Church underwent redecoration from October 1996 to April 1997. The woodwork of the Choir balcony and the wainscot was stripped back to the oak wood and revarnished. The church was rewired and new lights were installed by Krysevig Electric.. New oak frames were added to the wood carvings on each side of the sanctuary and the carvings were fleshtoned for greater emphasis. The symbols of St. Bridget, St. Joseph, and St. Vincent were added to the upper sanctuary wall. Scroll work with an Alpha and an Omega were also added to the sanctuary walls. The whole church was carpeted by the Gray Mill. A new presidential chair was donated by the Daughters of Isabella. The tabernacle and Stations of the Cross came from the former St. Vincent de Paul Church. The pillars were marbleized. The redecoration was done by Dieham Decorating Company, Kentland, Indiana.
Logansport experienced another wave of immigration beginning in the mid 1990’s of persons of various Latino backgrounds. A weekly Mass in Spanish began in 2001, and now All Saints has one of the largest Mass attendance of Hispanics in the diocese.
A history of All Saints Catholic Church from 1836 through 1999 has been compiled by parishioner Richard Copeland. This softcover book is 8 1/2 x 11″, 110 pages, with black and white photographs. Available at the parish office. Cost is $6.00.
Also available by mail (in USA only). Cost is $10.50, which includes postage & handling.
Mail a check to: All Saints, 112 E. Market Street, Logansport IN 46947-3428
It is fascinating reading!!